Sunday, October 29, 2006

Lost confidence on Yahoo!

I have been a supporter on Yahoo in the GGYY war because
1) I believe the future of search is social search and Yahoo is determined to move to that direction while Google starts very slowly partly because Google is a strong believer of technology while Yahoo has transformed itself to a media company since it hired its current CEO from Hollywood.
2) I believe a media business is more sustainable than a pure technology company. Bill Gates started calling Microsoft a media company since early this year. Even Google shows its conversion by the recent deal of Youtube. There is no surprise that people stay much longer time on Yahoo than on Google. Many people like me using Google as homepage. Everytime I open a browser, Google got one page view. However, I still spend more time on Yahoo since I read news on Yahoo.
3) Yahoo is more smart at buying into web 2.0 companies. Its recent acquisition of flickr, del.icio.us, JumpCut, and others costed less than 100 millions.

However, I have been very disappointed by the cooperation among Yahoo teams. For example, Yahoo recently announced Yahoo Bookmarks. I was excited to give a try. I have been with del.icio.us for a long time and found it starts very difficult to manage the tags. However, I am surprised to find out that how difficult to import my del.icio.us bookmarks into Yahoo Bookmarks. I still had to export a file from del.icio.us to local, upload to Yahoo, and then I was shown an error during the processing and asked me to try again.
I just don't believe both are the same company and the del.icio.us founder is still working at Yahoo HQ campus.
I was thinking that Yahoo stock is a good buy because it has been traded at a very low P/E and it still holds a lot of cash, and the recent rumor that Yahoo might be an acquisition target. Yahoo bookmarks just makes me think it still has some space to fall down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home