Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Surprised by Taobao and thought on Jack Ma vs. Hongyi Zhou

According to this news, average Taobao users spent 563 Yuan in 2006. I think it is a huge number. 30 million users visited your store spending 70$ every year, which really can keep me smiling awake although exactly say, Taobao is a C2C site and only get money from transaction processing.

Like a magic, online credibility has been established in China in the last several years. I am seeing more and more friends on my MSN starting opening their Taobao online store. I feel really excited and thankful that Taobao help make this happen. I have tried Taobao and tried all the service channels like call center. I am extremely satisfied with their service. A lot of people don't believe credit card could be widely used in China. I don't want to argue that because there is no fact to support that bold judgment. But 30 millions users have used Taobao, which means used Alipay. This is a very good number. But this is only 7.5% of China internet users. I heard Taobao will start charging this Feb after its free service forced Ebay(eachnet) out of China. (BTW, eachnet is out, what about Paypal China? I heard nothing.) I hope Taobao could make good use of this revenue to improve Taobal and Alipay.

Related to this topic, I also want to comment on the war between Jack Ma and Hongyi Zhou. Besides a lot of comments about each's personality and acheivement from other people, I just want to comment based on the fact. We, as e-business professional, should thank them for educating Chinese small business owners on e-business. However, what makes them apart is, Jack helps establish the online credibility while Hongyi ruined it by introducing malware into China.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home