Wednesday, May 09, 2007

a dinner talk with Mino CEO Jing Liu

Before HYSTA 2007 I heard this year's dinner would be buffet, which disappointed me since the dinner last year was so impressive. But I'm wrong. This year's dinner is no worse than last year. Since it's buffet, I was able to walk around during dinner to find interesting people to talk. Then I sat beside Jing Liu, CEO of Mino.
Jing has been a serial entrepreneur and Mino is the 4th company he founded. The first three were not very successful. But I saw Jing is well respected in the community and people believe Mino will be mostly likely a hit. When Jing was introduced to me, I asked, "what happened for your previous startup?". Jing said, "I failed three times." This is Silicon Vally. Failure is an award.
Simply say, Mino is "Skype on Mobile phones". I asked Jing, "VOIP now is like commodity. What makes you different to compete with Skype or GTalk on the phone?". Jing said, "we are looking at Enterprise market.", which makes sense. Enterprise customer always have different requirement from consumers. Jing also joked that the difficulty of being an entrepreneur without a girl friend. "No girl dates me because I have to travel a lot. It's better just marry before starting a company or marry after selling your company. ":)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home